Friday, June 15, 2012

Eco Compostable Biodegradable Shit

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and the sadness I felt when witnessing a HipCity bag blowing across the grass in Rittenhouse sealed the deal: Philly vegan eateries are wasteful. Compostable products are exciting, but how many of these products REALLY end up in a compost pile, which is the only way they will biodegrade as promised? 

Today it took me five minutes to drink my Coconut Dream Elixir at Jar Bar, and it pained me to throw away my plastic cup. All of their meals are served in plastic to-go containers. A meal at HipCity inolves at least several containers, wrappers, napkins, plastic forks, and a bag. Even eat-in salads at Blackbird are served in a to-go container, albeit a very earth-friendly sugar cane-based one.

I'm sure these businesses struggled greatly when deciding to use only disposables, and I can see how it would be difficult to deal with stacks of dirty dishes when you're primarily a to-go/eat 'n' go place. There is just something about the whole compostable/biodegradable=it's ok! mindset that really bugs me. I suppose I'd be happier if these places had a "Compostables" bin so I could at least feel like they'll end up biodegrading.

No comments:

Post a Comment