Sunday, January 8, 2012

soy&sake, dun-well, champs

Visiting NYC is one of my favorite things to do, and I now realize I need to to this way more often while I still live so close. There is so much to do. So many people to see, so many museums to peruse, and, most importantly, so much food to eat!


Amy, Sarah, Ryan and I started off our Saturday at Champ's for brunch. We got there just after opening (10am), and it was empty. Things open late in NYC. It is weird for us baby-city residents. We sat in a beautiful glitter booth and were immediately served coffee. They had everything I could have possibly wanted, which made my decision extra-hard. I decided on the All-Vegan Slam: Scramble, Toast, Soy sausage, Tempeh bacon, Homefries, and Salad. I also ordered a single pancake. Thank goodness for this option! I love sweet breakfast foods, but I only ever want one quarter of what an actual serving typically is. The food was good. Not great, but good. The scramble could have used more seasoning, the pancake could have been fluffier, the tempeh bacon was ridiculously good, pretty sure the sausage was gimmelean (no problem with that!), and the salad was enormous and perfectly-dressed with a bit of balsamic vinaigrette. Next time, I look forward to trying the tofu benedict and the french toast. Champs wins in my book because the food was reasonably priced, they're into veggies with breakfast, the menu is everything my hopes and dreams are made of, and they are experts at coffee refills.



Next, we went to Dun-Well Doughnuts, a brand-new all-vegan doughnut and coffee shop. What. The. Hell. NYC, I hate you. This place knows how to make a doughnut. Their doughnuts are big, soft, fluffy, and available in some interesting flavors. I chose The Elvis, which is peanut butter and banana-flavored. The peanut flavor was subtle and the banana almost non-existent, but I'm not complaining. I would have been happy with any glaze these people threw on such a fine specimen of a doughnut. I also got a Chocolate&Pretzel topped one for later, and that was lovely as well but I do wish I had thought about how the pretzels would get soggy... Oh, and I can't fail to mention the interior. It feels both old-timey and simple. Perfection, really. Dun-Well!

And finally, I got to check out Soy & Sake. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I think they might be owned by the same people who own Red Bamboo? They have a lot of identical menu items, as well as a full vegan sushi menu. I love sushi and I love Red Bamboo, so this was hard. Very hard. Would I get my usual very-adult meal of crispy chicken, ham&collard rolls, and a milkshake? Or the bento box like I probably should have? Friends had warned me of some potentially-weird sushi, so I found myself paralyzed with fear at the sight of such an extensive menu of faux fish rolls. Thankfully, Amy has been there a bunch and she recommended  the best sushi ever: VEGETABLE TEMPURA ROLL. This was sushi perfection, and my life will never be the same. I also enjoyed my peanut-avocado roll, but the amount of peanuts in there was a bit much. Honestly, I would have been just as happy with a good 'ol avocado roll. I also got wonton soup, which was alright. Oh, and crispy chicken nuggets of course!

Until next time, you big crazy city..
beka

No comments:

Post a Comment